Thursday, June 27, 2013

Getting Ready...

Because we don't know when we will be travelling, we are trying to prepare now.  If they do tell us we have a court date in July, I want to be ready!  We have had our travel vaccines, picked up our non-prescription and prescription travel medicine, and received the kids' new passports.  It doesn't sound like much, I guess, but it's kept me busy and driving all over town.

We also are trying to get the kids' bedrooms sorted out.  Originally, Faith had the larger bedroom and Thomas had the smaller one.  I had thought maybe the two boys could share the smaller one, as my experience is that boys don't play in their rooms quite as much as girls.  I wanted to get two of the KURA loft beds from IKEA, so that each boy would have his own "private space" underneath.  We got Thomas' room emptied out, and built one of the beds. It was quickly apparent that, no matter how we arranged the room, two beds just wouldn't fit!

So, we had to change plans, and switch Faith to the smaller room.  In order for her bedding and accessories to match, we repainted the room in coordinating colors.  She is more or less moved in to the new room.  I'll take pictures once we hang her decorations back on the wall and whatnot.

In the boys' new room, I decided  to repaint as well.  One wall had been painted with glossy-on-matte stripes and that proved a bit tricky to cover!  Eventually a skim-coat of drywall mud and two coats of primer beneath two coats of paint did the trick.  The other two walls, I am planning to paint with varying width horizontal stripes, in tan, cream, navy, medium blue, and brown.  Why pick one colour when you can pick five?!

My mom and I were going to start on the stripes yesterday, but we discovered the laser level was missing it's "bubble" (???) and our attempts with the 4' level and a tape measure were leading to frustration, so we called it quits for the night.  I bought a new level and we will try again tonight or tomorrow.

In terms of other things we still need to do to prepare, there's not too much.  I want to make a photo book to leave with Bereket with pictures of our home and family, but I'm waiting until the bedrooms are done to do that.  We will apply for our tourist visas in advance, rather than at the airport, but I'm pretty sure we need a travel date first.

It feels like a whole lot of hurry up and wait!  I am hopeful that we will get an update on Bereket tomorrow, as they usually go out at the end of the month.  Can't wait to see a new picture and find out if he has grown!

On another note, tomorrow the kids and my mom and I will be going to Barrhead to visit my aunt and also to meet another adoptive family for a playdate.  We have "known" each other online for a while, but this is our first in person meeting, so that's exciting! :)  One thing about meeting adoptive families online... at least you know they passed an Interpol check! hahaha!  Just kidding! ;)

~Heather

No comments: