Monday, October 21, 2013

Our first week at home!

So, it's just over a week since we got home... And what a week it has been! We had so much fun seeing people at the airport on Friday night.  I don't know what Bereket thought, but he smiled the whole time. ;)

Saturday morning, Faith slept until 11:30 when I finally woke her up.    We laid low and did laundry all day, but we did get out to watch the kids bike ride around the crescent.  Bereket was so excited to "cycle" but it was much harder than he expected.  He had no idea how to peddle and basically couldn't get the bike to move at all. But he is very persistant and kept at it, even though he didn't have much success.

Sunday we were still in complete jetlag recovery mode, but again, the kids rode their bikes for several hours.  By the end of the afternoon, Bereket had made a lot of progress and could more or less ride around the crescent.

Monday, my parents came for a visit in the morning, as they had been in Arizona when we got home. The kids were out cycling when the arrived, and Dave and my Dad watched Bereket bike for another hour at least while my mom and I and the other kids had a visit inside. Monday afternoon, Dave's parents send Thanksgiving dinner over for us, and Faith and Thomas went for a short visit with Dave's side of the family. Thomas also had his first piano lesson. He is getting so grown up. I know he will do well in lessons this year.

Tuesday was a busy day. We went to apply for Bereket's Alberta Healthcare and then to Dave's work for a few minutes. We had to get a couple things at Costco, and then at Southgate. All the kids needs new shoes, so we went to a couple shoe stores, too. Bereket's old shoes were a size 12, and i guessed he was a 13 or 1, but he actually measured for a 2! It was a long busy day but we got lots accomplished.  In the late afternoon, I snuck out for a chiropractor visit and massage.  Tuesday night was also the first night of Beavers.  It was a nature hike, so that seemed like an okay activity for Bereket to participate in, but he was so tired, he fell asleep on the way there and back!

Wednesday was Dave's last day at home with us.  We had a doctor's appointment for Thomas in the morning, as he complained of a tummy ache most of the time we were gone. The verdict: too little fibre in Ethiopia, lol.  Then we all went to our piano teacher's house for a "catch-up lesson" for Faith and Thomas.  We were there about 2 hours, and I really feel like it helped all of us not be so far behind (both kids take group lessons).  In the afternoon, Dave winterized the trailer and did some other jobs around the house.  Wednesday is Faith's regular piano lesson day, so Dave and she were back for lessons in the evening.  We were sad that it was the last day together but going back to work was a good thing, too. We have never spent this much time together, ever. I think Dave was "kidded out" (probably "wifed out", too!)!

Thursday was my first day alone with the kids.  My mom offered to come and take Faith shopping for boots, but I had a couple stops to make, so we all went out together.  I sold a bunch of stuff at Once Upon a Child.  I'll have to try to take in a few bins every couple weeks.  I have SO much stuff to get rid of!  My mom stayed for a quick visit and left shortly after lunch.  The afternoon went quickly with quiet time and outside time.

There was Connections on Friday (our homeschool workshop/gym day) and I decided to give it a whirl.  I stayed with the boys in their class.  They both really enjoyed it, I think.  Bereket did well following the group and listening to the teacher.  When she told them to write their names on their papers, he carefully printed his on the top - in Amharic! :)   We all had lunch together, and then the boys had gym and Faith had workshop.  I didn't go to gym, as I figured dodgeball is fairly self-explanatory.    They had a great time, and it was so fun to see so many of our homeschool friends.

After Connections, my sister and niece came over for a quick visit.  Jocelyn goes back to work after her maternity leave in a few short days, so we wanted to make sure and have at least one chat.  Bereket LOVES babies and was pretty thrilled with Chloe. :)  Faith was having her birthday sleepover that evening, so it was a quick visit.

Around 5, the girls started showing up for the party.  This is probably the most slacker-style birthday party I've ever hosted.  I bought the cake and barely even tidied the house! lol  Faith had 4 girls between 8-10 years old over and I think that is just about my favorite age!  They all got along so well, even though none of them know each other, other than through Faith.  They played, had pizza and cake, opened presents, watched a movie and then played the game Life.  Around 10, two parents came to get their girls, and the remaining two guests and Faith played for another hour or so before setting up beds in the basement.  Another hour of giggling and they were all asleep.  It was seriously the most pleasant birthday party ever!  Sometimes I feel like this upper elementary age is the "parenting age" I've been waiting for! lol.

Saturday morning, the boys had soccer.  Yes, both boys are in soccer.  I had to make a spur-of-the-moment decision about whether to sign Bereket up for soccer.  I could tell that his personality is not that of one content to be a spectator, and figured if we had to drag him along to games and practices, he may as well be involved, not playing on the ipad in the bleachers! He LOVED it.  Thomas had a blast, too.  Our team seems very "young" for U8, and I don't think we'll win many games, but hopefully everyone will have fun.

Saturday evening was a bit nuts.  We had shrimp alfredo for supper (one of our very favorite meals) and Bereket gobbled it up.  After supper, he had a bath, and had great fun playing in the tub with the snorkel mask.  

After his bath, I lotioned him up like usual and we started reading stories.  He started scratching and complaining about his armpits and groin.  We learned the word "itchy" and I gave him a children's Benedryl, just in case there was something in the bathwater that bothered him.  Within the next 10 minutes, though, the itchiness had spread to his entire body, including his face, and he was covered in hives.  The skin around his mouth looked blotchy and puffy and he was coughing a lot, with sort of a wheezy, gaspy sound on the inhale.  I quickly was very alarmed, and we packed for an ER visit.  Dave stayed with the kids while I took him in.

We were assessed quickly and did our intake paperwork (despite us not having his AB Healthcare Card yet, he was already in the system - Yay!).  I sat us down in the waiting room and expected to sit a while but they called us in right away.  The doctor came in and was fairly concerned.  He gave Bereket a dose of stronger allergy medicine and kept us under observation until we knew the swelling around his mouth wasn't getting worse.  Bereket played with the ipad when he could, but he was SO itchy he kept pausing it to scratch.  At one point he was whimpering "Itchy, mama, help itchy mama" and I felt so bad there was nothing (more) I could do for him.  Eventually, around 9:15, he handed me the ipad, said "Sleepy" and laid down and fell asleep (I wish it was that quick at home!).  They came in and checked on him a couple more times and around 10, they sent us home.

And so that was the first week home!  It sounds crazy, doesn't it?! Looking back, I can hardly believe it, but it was just sort of a consequence of the time of year and having been gone for so long... We didn't want to miss yet another week of all our activities. Sunday was church and a quick visit with Grandma Grace and Grandpa Rick.  We planned to start school on Monday, and I was feeling overwhelmed at everything I still needed to get ready. I'll post more about the first day of school soon.

One last thing - Can you please pray for wisdom and understanding for Dave and me?  We are facing some challenging behaviours with Bereket that I'm not likely to blog about, but it is hard to know the best way to respond.  I'm feeling lately like the adoption books do a fairly good job with "There will be challenges, and here are some examples" but not such a good job with "And here's how you deal with them".  We love him so much but it is exhausting at times, and I just hate feeling like I don't know how to respond. Thanks. :)

No comments: